Quick Tips to Help
Click here for the old library catalogue search
1. You don’t have to bring your books back to the Library to renew them – do it online!
Use the account login facility on the Newton Catalgoue or, even quicker, make use of the Library widget which is found on the Faculty Library website under ‘Renew Books Online’. You can use this widget in CamTools and in Facebook as well.
2. Need a helping hand for your dissertation?
A summary of some key tips here:
3. Find out quickly what Faculties you can borrow from: Libraries opening and access
You can borrow from the University Library and you can register to borrow in a number of other libraries in Cambridge. You are welcome to work in other libraries. Each library has its own rules and regulations, just make sure that you know what they are!
4. Accessing an online Cambridge Companion from home
Click here for a pdf file explaining how to do that.
5. CamTools – English Library site.
As an undergraduate and graduate of the Faculty you should be registered on the Camtools site. Find handouts for lectures and seminars there and much more. If you cannot access the site please contact the Librarian or Assistant Librarian.
6. Use Google? Want help with time management? Try making use of a Google Calendar.
Google Calendar is a free web-based calendar which can be shared with other people and accessed from anywhere with Internet connection. Events can be added quickly and viewed by day, week or month. It can also be integrated with other Google services, such as iGoogle, and imbedded in web pages & blogs. The English Faculty Library is using Google Calendar to publicise induction sessions.
1. To create a Google Calendar, go to http://www.google.com/calendar/.
2. Log in with your Google ID.
3. Your Google Calendar will look like this:
Make sure that you edit your ‘settings’
If you want to share your calendar with others in your college or social/sport group watch the following youtube video:
7. Need to arrange a meeting? Try using Doodle.
Doodle is a great way to schedule any event which includes several people – whether it’s a work meeting or a personal social engagement. You don’t need to register to use Doodle and it’s simple to use.
1. Just go to http://www.doodle.com/.
2. Click on the Schedule Event button….and the rest is plain sailing!