The Faculty of English and Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic welcome applications for British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships.
About the British Academy fellowships:
The British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship offers outstanding early career researchers the opportunity to strengthen their experience of research and teaching in an academic environment. The scheme aims to help develop the award holder’s curriculum vitae and boost their prospects of obtaining a permanent academic post. The primary emphasis is on the completion of a significant piece of publishable research, and the integration of the award holder into the community of established scholars within their field.
The details of the call can be found on the British Academy website. The timetable for this year’s competition (including expected dates for announcing successful applicants) will be confirmed here over Summer 2022.
British Academy Postdoctoral fellowship applications are subject to a two stage University process before applications are submitted the British Academy. The first takes place within the Faculty, the second by the University across all disciplines. The Faculty will then provide support to the selected candidates in the preparation of the final application to the BA.
- Applicants must be either a UK/EEA national or have completed a doctorate at a UK university. If an applicant does not meet the prior categories, they may be accepted if they can demonstrate ‘strong prior association’ with the UK academic community.
- Applicants must be within three years of the award of a doctorate (i.e. with a viva between 1 April 2020 and 1 April 2023). Exemptions from this criterion may be granted for extenuating circumstances.
- Those with a permanent academic post are ineligible to apply.
- Applicants may apply only once in the three years they are eligible. Previously unsuccessful applicants will be able to submit another application only if specifically invited to do so by the British Academy.
Those thinking of making an application for a Fellowship in the Faculty of English or Department of Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic, are advised to make contact now with a potential mentor and with Professor Raphael Lyne (firstname.lastname@example.org) for English or Professor Elizabeth Rowe (email@example.com) for ASNC to discuss your project. We recommend this is done in good time, as staff may be away from their emails at points during the summer.
After checking your eligibility, please supply application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by the Faculty deadline of Monday 15 August at 09.00 am.
Applications to the Faculty should consist of the following:
- An internal selection form.
- A two page CV including the dates on which you took your PhD viva and on which you were awarded the PhD;
- a list of publications (not exceeding one side);
- two letters of reference, at least one of which should be from outside Cambridge.
Candidates will be informed if their application has been successful in the internal competition in good time for the British Academy consideration, which typically takes place in mid/late October 2022.
For more information about the application process, please contact the Faculty Coordinator, April McIntyre at email@example.com
Details of last year’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Scheme and the British Academy’s application process can be found on the BA website: https://www.thebritishacademy.ac.uk/funding/postdoctoral-fellowships/