Submission deadline: June 22, 2015
Conference date(s): September 16, 2015 – September 17, 2015
This conference is co-hosted with the Universities of Reading and Liverpool Hope. It aims to explore the social, economic and spatial factors underpinning the changing way ordinary men demonstrated their commitment to God and the church(es) in a period of significant turmoil. Papers that address English male devotional experience from historical, literary, gender studies and material culture perspectives are welcomed. Suggested themes include:
- Religion and Society: Domestic piety and lay/household Catholicism.
- Material Culture and ritual objects.
- The economy of piety: indulgences, relics and paying for piety.
- Personal and public piety: Continuity and change over the medieval and early modern periods.
- Devotional reading, writing and performance.
- Geography, place and space in Catholic piety.
It is anticipated that selected papers will be published as part of an edited collection.
Please send proposals to: email@example.com