Welcome to all prospective undergraduate students!
English is one of the most popular degree subjects in the UK. Students find studying it enormously interesting and intellectually rewarding, and the skills it helps to foster are greatly sought after by top employers in many fields. Cambridge has one of the world’s great English faculties, and we care very much about attracting the best and brightest students from any background and from anywhere in the world.
Undergraduate students of English at Cambridge are taught by members of one of the largest English faculties worldwide. We have an internationally distinguished reputation for our teaching, and for the quality of our students. The course we offer is at the core of this achievement. Cambridge was one of the first univerisites to offer the study of English as a unique discipline, and the Faculty’s early innovations continue to shape our teaching. We pride ourselves on being a teaching faculty: our academics are not only some of the most distinguished thinkers in their fields, but also committed teachers eager to encourage and direct your study.
Many of our lecturers have won prestigious prizes for their work, and the Faculty's research and teaching are consistently recognised as among the best internationally. The Cambridge English Faculty came top in the Guardian's University league tables for 2016, scoring 100/100, and we were recognised as the top English department in the world in the 2015 QS University World Rankings.
If you are a school or college student thinking of studying English at university, these pages will provide you with:
- key facts
- an overview of our undergraduate English course
- an explanation of our unique teaching system
- information about the resources on offer to help you learn
- advice on applying to study with us
- a virtual classroom with resources for students and teachers
- details of our work to widen access to and participation in higher education
- information about some of the careers our students go on to
- an invitation to our yearly open days