Dr Nicolette Zeeman, King's College
Medieval literature: Piers Plowman, allegory, religious and devotional writing, the lyric, theories of image-use and idolatry, and the literary theory of the later Middle Ages, as well as Chaucer. My previous book on Piers Plowman explored the poem in relation to medieval theories of temptation, psychology and epistemology. My next project will be to look at the 'disruptive' allegorical traditions that lie behind the poem, but it will also lay out something of an alternative history of allegory. I continue to work on the literary and critical uses of medieval scholastic literary theory and the medieval lyric. A major future project concerns the medieval idol and the body.
Areas of Graduate Supervision:
Medieval English literature; Piers Plowman; the Middle English lyric; devotional writing and practice; pastoral writing; Old French and Middle English love literature, both narrative and lyric; medieval literary theory, commentary and allegory.
See Dr Nicolette Zeeman's entry in the University Lookup database. (Raven login required)
- "The Theory of Passionate Song", Medieval Latin and Middle English Literature. Essays in Honour of Jill Mann, ed. Christopher Cannon and Maura Nolan, D. S. Brewer, 2011, 231-51
- "Late Medieval, Religious and Vernacular", The Cambridge Companion to Allegory, ed. Rita Copeland and Peter Struck, Cambridge University Press, 2010, 148-61
- "In the Schoolroom with the "Vulgate" Commentary on Metamorphoses I", New Medieval Literatures 13: Medieval Grammar and the Literary Arts, ed. Christopher Cannon, Rita Copeland and Nicolette Zeeman, 2009, 1-18
- "Tales of Piers and Perceval: Piers Plowman and the Grail Romances", Yearbook of Langland Studies 22, 2008, 199-236
- "Imaginative Theory", 21st Century Approaches to Literature: Middle English, ed. Paul Strohm, Oxford University Press, 2007, 222-40
- "The Gender of Song in Chaucer", Studies in the Age of Chaucer 29, 2007, 141-82
- Piers Plowman and the Medieval Discourse of Desire, Cambridge University Press, 2006
- "The Idol of the Text", Images, Idolatry and Iconoclasm in the Late Middle Ages, ed. Jeremy Dimmick, James Simpson and Nicolette Zeeman, Oxford University Press, 2001, 43-62
- "The Condition of Kynde", Medieval Literature & Historical Inquiry: Essays in Honor of Derek Pearsall, ed. David Aers, 2000, 1-30
- "The Practice of Medieval Literature", Forum for Modern Language Studies (special issue) 33, no. 3, ed. Mark Chinca, Simon Gaunt, Sarah Kay and Nicolette Zeeman, 1997
- "The schools give a license to poets", Criticism and Dissent in the Middle Ages, ed. Rita Copeland, Cambridge University Press, 1996, 151-80